The number of language programs who have adopted our Chinese reading platform has grown tremendously. With the large data set, we can now offer benchmarks for the following types of programs in different parts of the world.
- Mandarin Dual Language Immersion (DLI) in the United States
- Language programs across Asia
- World Language programs offered at International Schools
- Bilingual programs in Mainland China
Level Learning now serves over two-thirds of all the Mandarin DLI programs across the United States. Most of the DLI programs have been implementing Level Learning for multiple years and the quality of implementation has continue to improve. As student literacy levels continue to recover since the pandemic, we were able to collect benchmark data from SY2022-23.
Data collected at the end of SY2022-2023
We were able to collect student home language data from approximately two-thirds of the students involved in the above benchmark study.
0%-25% students with home language as Chinese
26% to 50% students with home language as Chinese
51% or more students with home language as Chinese
Level Learning serves different types of learners and context
- International Schools across Asia serving a wide range of learners
- Native : Students who are native Chinese speakers
- Mixed Language Exposure : Non-native speakers who have 3 or more years of language learning or experience outside of the classroom
- CAL : Non-native speakers who are learning Chinese as an additional language with under 2 years of language learning experience
- Bilingual Schools in Mainland China
- Majority Native Chinese Students
- Utilize Chinese National Curriculum and Text Books
- 亚洲的国际学校为广泛的学习者提供服务 亚洲的国际学校
International Schools across Asia : Chinese Reading
亚洲的国际学校 : 中文阅读
Data collected July, 2023
Bilingual Schools in Mainland China : Chinese Reading
中国大陆的双语学校 : 中文阅读
Data collected July, 2023
Using Level Chinese Text Complexity Standards, we identified the level of most texts in the G1-9 textbooks using 部编版语文课本 as a reference. The table below shows the key range of text levels in each textbook. These levels were further cross-referenced with the grade level performance targets and validated by a leading bilingual school in Beijing, China. The grade level performance targets were set based on multiple years of collected student data using the Level Chinese assessments. Given CNC and Level Chinese standards are based on similar framework, teachers can plan instruction of a text in the textbook using standards in the matching level within Level Chinese. In addition, teachers can obtain data on student learning based on assessment results in Level Chinese system.
我们根据Level Chinese 的文本分级标准，以部编版语文课本作为参考，为一到九年级的大部分课文进行了分级。下面的表格展示了每册课本主要覆盖的等级分布。这些等级可以和各年级的目标等级相互参照，并且得到了北京某所知名双语学校的验证。这些年级的目标等级设置是根据Level Chinese评估系统多年来累积的测试数据分析得出的。因为中国语文课程标准和Level Chinese标准都是基于类似的框架，所以教师可以参考和结合Level Chinese的相应等级来指导和准备语文课本的教学。同时，教师还可以从Level Chinese的测试系统中获得数据，从而进一步指导学生的学习。